Mango Cake is now: Birthday in ParadiseJune 19, 2019
ChilaquilesAugust 30, 2019
For the masa
- 2 cups masa harina (Maseca)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup warm water
For the filling
- 1 cup grated queso Oaxaca or shredded mozzarella (or any semi-soft cheese)
- 1 cup homemade or store bought refried beans
- Using a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the Maseca flour, salt, and about 1-1/2 cups warm water on medium speed until dough is moist and smooth.
- Dough should be play dough-like consistency. Covered with a damp towel and let it rest 10 to 15 minutes.
- If the mixture is too dry, add more water, one teaspoon at a time. If the mixture is too sticky, add more masa harina, one teaspoon at a time.
- In a medium bowl add the cheese and beans. Set aside.
- Lightly grease your hands and pinch off a handful of dough and roll it into a ball.
- Using your thumb, make an indentation into one of the balls, forming a small cup. Fill the cup with 1 to 2 tablespoon of cheese/beans mixture and wrap the dough around the filling to seal it. Making sure that the filling does not leak, pat the dough back and forth between your hands to form a round disk about 1/4-inch thick or Fold the dough like a taco and press together, fold in the opposite ends and press together then set the dough on the counter to gently press the dough together to cover the filling.
- Don’t press too hard or the filling will poke through the dough. Continue with the remaining dough.
- Heat a skillet or griddle over medium to medium-high heat. Wipe a very small amount of oil onto the surface and place the pupusas on the skillet in a single layer. Cook until center slightly puffs up and pupusa is golden brown.
- Flip. Continue cooking 5 more minutes.
- Remove from skillet and cook the remaining pupusas.
- Serve while still warm with curtido on the side!
COOKING WITH LOVE
If you’re trying to capture the flavors of home, there’s no substitute for the right components, and you’ll find everything you need at your local Gala Foods and Gala Fresh supermarkets. At the Aurora Grocery Group, we’ve spent more than 40 years providing flavor to communities throughout our five-state footprint, and we’re ready to help you bring the heat to your next family dinner, party or any other gathering with these delicious recipes. To taste the difference that comes from quality ingredients and generations of supermarket experience, visit your local store today.